There has been much written on biodynamics and, to be perfectly frank, to a beginner, it can all seem mind boggling! The truth of the matter is it is simple to start – just add some preps! We’ve been working hard to make life a bit easier and for home gardeners in particular, our product, Soil Activator, can be a very simple way to start.
Other Thoughts on Getting Started in Biodynamics
Experience indicates the biodynamic beginner has three challenges:
- developing a sufficient conceptual framework to understand the basic principles of soil care and fertility,
- understanding the practical physical requirements for applying the biodynamic preparations, and
A check list for starting might include:
- Apply the biodynamic preparations – just get started. Try Soil Activator as a starter – learn more here.
- Make contact with other biodynamic farmers or gardeners.
- Assess the state of your soils. This can be through your own soil knowledge, inviting an experienced biodynamic farmer to visit or having a soil test done.
- Develop a soil plan to balance and enliven your soils and improve organic matter. A successful outcome will diminish weeds, pests and disease.
Starting is always an individual process and development should take place at a pace you feel comfortable with. This may mean selecting a smaller area to begin with and becoming familiar with processes and outcomes in your circumstances and environment. Consider joining in on one of our workshops or field days. Enjoy the process.